Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Nonstop (on the) flight

I never know what to expect when traveling with a two-year-old particularly when you leave for the airport at (yawn) 5:30am. Other than Bug's diaper malfunction, which meant he peed all over my leg, the first flight was fine.

Luckily, I had extra clothes for Bug but with 1,259--keep him interested during the flight--toys, food (with his allergies we carry items we know are safe for him to eat), EPI pen and Benadryl (in hopes that we don't need to use them), portable DVD player (I actually remembered to charge it--this time), DVDs, favorite books, Winnie-the-Pooh (his best pal and too risky to be put in a suitcase that might not end up in the same airport as our destination), diapers and wipes (obviously) and my book there was simply no room for anything else like, say, a spare pair of pants for me. At least one of us smelled good for the second flight...sigh.

But what made the return trip feel long had nothing to do with our 2 1/2-year-old's behavior. Our second flight was dominated by a group of high school kids. Prior to take off the kids were all chatting about their tour and then quieted down...except for one kid.

Apparently his role was to talk during the entire flight--to his seatmates, those across the aisle and those three rows in front of him. It was like having Cliff Clavin on our flight with a dash of Rain Man thrown in. Many of the things he said have escaped my little brain but I do recall he let all of those around him know the length of time it would take a body to hit the ground if it were to fall from an airplane cruising at 30,000 feet.

His trivia and comments--or trivial comments--were nonstop and I can only imagine that his parents must have signed him up for this trip the first chance they could just to get a little quiet time at their house. And to think I couldn't wait for Bug to start talking...

No comments:

Post a Comment