Tuesday, May 19, 2009

We visited my mom last week and there were more good moments than not-so-good moments. I was comforted to see that Bug wasn’t scared of her. She’s quite frail and has lost all of her hair from chemo treatments. She can only get around in a wheelchair and doesn’t have the strength to push it herself so a good chunk of her day is spent resting. Still when Bug saw her he shouted, “I want Grandma NOW” and then gave her a kiss. That alone was a dose of good medicine for her.

It’s so hard to see two people you love--one nearing the end of her life and another with so much life ahead of him--and know that the overlapping of their time together is so brief. I can barely allow myself to face the reality that Bug won't grow up knowing all the sweetness his grandma has to offer and that my mom won’t be around to watch Bug grow into himself. Maybe sometimes we all live in a vacuum but sometimes life is a vacuum and it sucks.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, but I'm glad the visit was so good. Take lots of photos of them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad when you think about how brief a time people have together. My dad passed away when my oldest son was 2 and my younger son was 7 weeks old, and he never even saw my daughter.

    Its such a hard time going through things like that, my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete